Upcoming Holiday Productions in the Mid-Atlantic
The Holidays are just around the corner. While there are lots of fun Christmas and fun holiday events going on, Many of the theaters in the Mid-Atlantic are putting on some incredible shows to start pumping up the holiday cheer. Here are some of the best shows around so get some tickets and have some family fun. This season is about coming together and spending time with family…. not necessarily about “things” so focus on experiences and family time that brings joy to your heart and a smile to your face. See my HUGE list below (I’ll be attending many of these shows with my family!);
The National Theater – Washington D.C.
The National Theater is one of the most well-known places to see high-quality productions in the entire United States, and Christmas time is no exception!
- Dave Koz Christmas Tour: As a GRAMMY winner in Contemporary Jazz this is an amazing opportunity to hear Christmas music like you never have. With special musical guests, this one time only show on December 3rd, is a wonderful way to kick off the holiday season.
- The Nutcracker: Performed by the Virginia Ballet Company & School. This is a holiday tradition and a free event! There are two showings on December 10th.
- Kacy Musgraves: Another multiple GRAMMY winner coming to the National Theater to share heartwarming Christmas music. This is a one night only event on December 10th.
- Dr. Suess’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical: A Christmas story loved by everyone with a lesson on the true meaning of Christmas. This show is running from December 13th to the 31st.
Warner Theatre D.C.
The Warner Theatre is located in Washington D.C. and it well known for having high-profile shows with VIP ticket options. Of course, they have a couple of excellent Christmas shows this year.
- The Nutcracker: The Washington Ballet is performing in this Nutcracker, and it runs for almost the entire month of December! Opening on the 1st of December, and closing after two showings on the 24th.
- The Brian Stetzer 13th Annual Christmas Rocks! Tour: Brian Stetzer sets the Christmas season off with and bang! They also having a supporting act, and that is the Beat Root Revival! This is a one-day event and is on November 26th.
Toby’s Dinner Theater
Located in Columbia, MD is a place to go if you want to get into the Christmas spirit. They will be showing productions of two favorite Christmas staples starting in mid-November all while serving delicious food.
- A Christmas Carol – The Musical: A Christmas Carol is a classic favorite of all who see it, and this time it is made even better with music. It runs from November 17th to January 8th, 2017.
- Miracle on 34th St – The Musical: This sweet story about a little girl believing in Santa is set to start playing on November 16 and playing until January 16th.
The Hippodrome Theater
The Hippodrome is located in Downtown Baltimore, MD. Known as the home of Broadway in Maryland, they are well known for having high-quality productions of year round, and Christmas is no different.
- A Christmas Story – The Musical: This is one of the most famous, modern day Christma tales that delights everyone, young and old. This rendition is accompanied by music to make the experience even better. It is running only from December 6th – 11th, so get your tickets while you can.
- Moscow Ballet’s Great Russian Nutcracker: Nothing can dazzle as well as a beautifully performed ballet. The Nutcracker is an amazing world full of imagination and whimsy. This production only runs for two days, from December 16th to the 17th, so get in while you can!
The Lyric Opera House:
Also located in Baltimore, is a wonderful place to start bringing the joy of Christmas.
- The Nutcracker: Performed by the Ballet Theater of Maryland and orchestrated by Concert Artist of Baltimore. This is a magical way to introduce your children to ballet and orchestra. It is playing for only two days on the 3rd and 4th of December!
- Mistletoe Meltdown: This is claimed to be Baltimore’s biggest show of the year! With special guests performances by Gavin DeGraw, Andy Grammer, and Hailee Steinfeld you can see why! This is a one-night event on December 16th!
Royal Farms Arena
Royal Farms Arena is well known for showing everything from comedy shows to sporting events. This includes Christmas shows, so get ready for so holiday fun!
- Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith: Two GRAMMY winners coming together again to sing wonderful Christmas music. They will also have Jordan Smith as a special guest on the show. This is for one day only, on December 18th.
The Kennedy Theater
Named after John F. Kennedy and located in Washington D.C., this theater has many premier shows, and Christmas is no exception.
- The Nutcracker: Performed by the Cincinnati Ballet, this rendition is full of elaborate scenery and enchanting acrobatics. It runs from November 23rd to the 27th.
Gaylord National Harbor Event and Convention Center
Located at the National Harbor in Washington D.C., this place has it all! There are a hotel and a convention center that does numerous events every year. One of the biggest ones, though, is during Christmas.
- ICE!: This year ICE is featuring Christmas Around the World. There are over 2 million pounds of ice carved into sculptures, buildings, and even two story slides! You get to this by going through a beautiful Christmas village. This event is open from November 19th to January 1st.
Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
Located in Philadelphia, it’s not just a theater, but also a place for classes and lectures on all things performing arts. The have many amazing shows, and they are sure not to disappoint this Christmas.
- Mannheim Steamroller: This top-notch orchestra brings you traditional Christmas music with a modern twist. Fun, beautiful, and full of Christmas cheer. This experience is only for one night, December 3rd.
Wells Fargo Center
The Wells Fargo Center is the home of many outstanding shows and sports events in Philadelphia, and they have made sure to have something to delight this Christmas.
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra: This Ghost of Christmas past is the theme for this year’s tour of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. They will also be playing some of their biggest hits. There are two shows on December 17th.
- Q102’s Jingle Ball: With many singers like Shawn Mendes and Ellie Goulding and a Christmas spin, this is sure to be a show to delight everyone. Only on December 7th!
- Disney on Ice – Follow Your Heart: While this is not a Christmas show, it is showing on the 23rd, and is something that all children and parents love. A magical experience for the whole family. I’ve personally seen the Follow your Heart show and it is FABULOUS!
Bush Garden Williamsburg
Busch Gardens is located in Williamsburg, Virginia and is well known for having wonderful events all year round. Christmas is no exception to this magical place. If you buy tickets in advance, you’ll pay as little as $16 per ticket! After you visit once, it’ll quickly become a family tradition. See below:
With all of these fantastic shows, there is no way you can’t be looking forward to this Christmas season. So, go and watch some amazing shows!